GPS McQuhae LLP represents clients in high-stakes complex commercial disputes throughout Asia Pacific and beyond. Our lawyers have a wealth of experience in pursuing or defending disputes in litigation and international arbitration proceedings, such disputes frequently involving multiple jurisdictions, or complex technological or engineering issues.
We understand that formal dispute resolution is often a step in leveraging commercial negotiations and we are at all times focused in assisting clients to devise and implement strategies and tactics to achieve sensible business outcomes without becoming embroiled in long term and expensive proceedings.
Where litigation or arbitration is inevitable, we work closely with our clients to evaluate the strengths and weaknesses of their case in order to facilitate them in making well informed decisions and managing their legal risks. We also adopt fee structures that align our own interests with those of the client in order to provide better certainty for clients over legal costs.
Sometimes a settlement cannot be reached and a well-planned, appropriately resourced and cost-effective legal team is required to provide the high levels of representation expected from our clients. GPS Flex allows us to bring together the right teams to vigorously and successfully represent our clients in litigation and international arbitration.
Team Experience Highlights
Commercial – International Arbitration
- Hong Kong based cosmetics and nutritional supplement distributor in parallel arbitrations seated in Singapore and Tokyo in relation to claims against Japanese manufacturer resulting from the termination of global distribution agreements and pricing arrangements
- U.S. supplier of advanced LED panels in Hong Kong arbitration against Chinese manufacturer for breach of warranty resulting in defective products and defending counterclaim alleging breach of trade secret laws
- Global media and advertising conglomerate in multiple ICC arbitration proceedings supported by Hong Kong court interlocutory applications relating to shareholder and subscription agreements, and arranged the completion of a full and final multi-jurisdictional settlement of dispute proceedings in the Cayman Islands, Hong Kong, and the PRC
- Global computer chip supplier in Singapore arbitration in relation to disputes arising out of multiple supply and purchase arrangements with a major U.S. hard disk drive manufacturer concerning pricing disputes for read channels and ASIC control devices
Commercial – Hong Kong and Cross-Border Litigation
- Korean manufacturer of copper cables in Hong Kong High Court proceedings against sales agents alleged to have defrauded principal of millions of dollars including related proceedings in Mainland China
- Australian listed company defending Hong Kong High Court proceedings brought by a joint venture partner concerning disputes surrounding a mineral processing facility in Vietnam
- Hong Kong listed company in High court proceedings against a former director / shareholder in relation to misrepresentations made in respect of sale and purchase agreements involving approximately HK$200 million of convertible bonds
- Creditor claiming in excess of HK$2 billion in heavily litigated winding up proceedings against a Hong Kong listed company
- Main contractor defending arbitration proceedings under a sub-contract for the removal of existing pile foundations in relation to express rail project in Hong Kong
- Mainland Chinese contractor in Singapore arbitration under ICC Rules against Vietnamese-Japanese joint venture cement production company to recover claims and damages arising out of the construction of a cement processing plant in Vietnam
- Main contractor in multiple Hong Kong arbitration proceedings against project owner and subcontractors in relation to the construction of a new terminal at Hong Kong International Airport
- Main contractor in Hong Kong arbitration against government department for claims arising out of the construction of a river training scheme
- Owner of natural gas fields in the Arabian Gulf in claims against a contractor over design and construction defects in submarine sour gas pipelines
- US multinational oil company in dispute with state-owned Chinese oil company over a joint venture agreement to develop sour gas fields in Sichuan, China
- South East Asian government in Malaysian arbitration commenced by a developer in relation to the termination of concession agreements for the development and operation of 1800 MW mine-mouth coal fired power plant
- Japanese green energy company in Hong Kong arbitration against claims by a Chinese hydroelectric company arising out of the termination of a sale and purchase agreement for carbon credits pursuant to the Kyoto protocol
- Independent oil and gas company in arbitration seated in London concerning disputes arising out of production sharing and joint operating agreements for the exploration, development and operation of gas fields in Indonesia
- Asian independent power producer in Hong Kong arbitration claiming damages against manufacturer and supplier of gas turbines arising out of long term operation and maintenance contract for a combined cycle power plant
Alternative Dispute Resolution
- International oil company in Singapore mediation in relation to claims under an EPC contract for a 110 MW geothermal power plant located in Indonesia
- Manufacturer and supplier of complex steel structure for express rail terminus in relation to claims and disputes arising out of subcontract and devising strategy for mediation and arbitration
- Manufacturer and supplier of dry wall products for Macau casino project in Hong Kong mediation to resolve disputes with main contractor concerning delays to supply chain and delivery to site